In collaboration with other physicians and under the supervision of the medical director, the Nurse Practitioner provides comprehensive medical services within scope of training, including but not limited to diagnosis, treatment, coordination of care, preventive care and health maintenance to patients regardless of age or sex. Works in alignment with the goals and objectives of BeverlyCare and complies with, all BeverlyCare policies and procedures, as well as pertinent state and federal regulations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform comprehensive health assessment including obtaining a complete and accurate health history from the patient or significant other; performing a complete and accurate physical examination; and administering selected measures of physical, cognitive and psychosocial development in accordance with standardized guidelines.
- Using the data obtained in the health assessment and diagnostic studies, interprets clinical findings and develops a complete, accurate differential diagnoses/health care problems list.
- Overall responsible for the delivery of Nursing Services and provides oversight of the medical support team. Responsible for the supervision of nurses’ aid, LVNs, MAs and other direct patient care personnel not under supervision of the physician.
- Ensures standards of nursing practice upheld in the delivery of care and competencies of staff delivering nursing services.
- Identifies and appropriately uses available resources in meeting the health care and health education needs of patients and families, including but not limited to consultation with other physicians and allied health professionals.
- Exercise professional judgment regarding consultation with the medical director concerning appropriate treatment and prescreen cases requiring review by the Medical Director
- Take charge of “code” situations, initiate cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and advanced cardiac life support as appropriate.
- Develops and implements health promotion, illness/injury prevention and therapeutic plans congruent with the client’s diagnosis, health care problem or need.
- Record complete chart entries on patient transactions, writing orders, and recording progress notes summarizing patient clinical care to meet or exceed established standards to include but not limited to timeliness, legibility, accuracy, content and signature. Maintain patient confidentiality.
- Participates in Quality Assurance activities.
- Maintains a professional appearance and a clean, safe environment.
- Proactively identify, diagnose and manage treatment plans for patients at risk of developing a long-term condition as appropriate.
- Diagnose and manage both acute and chronic conditions, integrating both drug- and non-drug-based treatment methods into a management plan.
- Administer injections, immunizations, and oral medication. Prescribe and review medication for therapeutic effectiveness, appropriate to patient needs and in accordance with evidence-based practice and in accordance with federal and state laws and within scope of practice
- Work with patients to support compliance with and adherence to prescribed treatments and provide information and advice on prescribed or over-the-counter medication on medication regimens, side-effects and interactions
- Prioritize health problems and intervene appropriately to assist the patient in complex, urgent or emergency situations, including initiation of effective emergency care
- Collaborates with physicians and other health professionals as a team.
- Interpret and integrate patient data, for the purposes of establishing presumptive diagnoses, and the general workup of the patient by ordering appropriate laboratory studies, radiological and other special examinations or diagnostic procedures required for the evaluation of illness.
- Arrange for referral or refer patients to needed services that cannot be provided to patients in the clinic.
- Triage patient telephone calls and provide consultation, as requested.
- Monitor patients and provide continuity of care between visits.
- Participate fully as a member of the clinic staff. This includes participating in developing, executing and periodically reviewing the clinic’s written policies, Treatment Protocols, and the services provided to patients, participating in quality assurance review of the clinic’s patient records, maintain patient records according to clinic policies and procedures, provide patient related information for business functions such as billing and as may be necessary to plan and evaluate services, attend required meetings and participate in committees as requested, participate in professional development activities and maintain professional affiliations.
- Provide back-up for co-workers, when needed.
- Available to travel to clinics upon the need to serve our patients.
- Performs additional duties, as assigned by providers, clinic supervisor or administration in support of quality assurance and improvement.
Skills and Knowledge Requirements
- Advanced clinical assessment and management skills in patient care
- Skills in taking medical history, physical examination, assessing medical condition and interpreting findings
- Skills in problem solving, priority setting, delegation, and planning
- The ability to work in a wide range of patient settings across the continuum of care
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills
- A strong patient/family focus and genuine interest in quality and service
- Knowledge of electronic medical records documentation
- A capacity to demonstrate strong clinical leadership
- The ability to work independently and be a member of a team
- Ability to recognize medical condition requiring consultation with the collaborating physician, and to work with the collaborating physician, in person or by phone, on cases outside the scope of established protocols.
- Performs the job in alignment with the mission and vision of the organization.
- Demonstrates behaviors based on the eight values of the organization: Caring, Accountability, Patient-Centered, Positive Attitude, Open Communication, Teamwork, Quality Improvement and Innovation.
Training, Education, and Licensure
- Current BLS certification.
- Current California RN license
- Current Nurse Practitioner Certification
- Current California Nurse Practitioner furnishing number (DEA)